Thursday, December 31, 2009

"The defense asserts that this game... is awesome."



A little over 2 years ago, a good friend introduced me to, "that one lawyer game." I had already been exposed to other games that were centered around "real" jobs like being a surgeon in Trauma Center or being a cook/mama in Cooking Mama. These games made it work, but I still couldn't imagine a "lawyer game." Being a lawyer requires the act of litigation, which requires speaking. Despite the fact that the DS has a microphone, I was pretty sure you weren't going to be citing legal precedents into it, and if you were, it would be one of the most realistic and boring games ever created. Instead what I got was a game not unlike the adventure games of old, but with a theme that centers around the courthouse. This particular courthouse, however, only sees murder trials, and every one of them is an intense legal battle with objections flying out left and right from the defense and prosecution. Every trial is exciting, and it's always a close battle between the defense and the prosecution. That's why the games are fun... they're NOTHING like the real courthouse.

Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations is the third game in the Phoenix Wright series, and it fixes a lot of the the small qualms I had with the 2nd game. The dialogue is better, and has less of the typos that 2 had, the soundtrack is vastly improved over 2's predominantly disappointing soundtrack, and most importantly, the cases are better. Pretty much everything about 3 was an improvement over 2. 2 added some interesting characters, but overall I find the 3rd game to be far superior to the 2nd. Even so, I still can say I've thoroughly enjoyed the Phoenix Wright "trilogy," and am excited to play Apollo Justice and finally be caught up for the Edgeworth game coming out soon (supposedly February!) Despite all of 2's problems, it still has, in my opinion, one of the best cases in the entire series and sets up a lot of things for 3's epic closing case. Regardless, 3 is a better game overall, which brings me to my closing arguments. 3 was an excellent game, perhaps the best in the series. The series on the whole is a lot of fun, but 3 fixes 2's mistakes. I understand that the games may not be for everyone, but if you're a fan of the original, I can't imagine anyone not enjoying 3. The defense rests.

1 comment: